[uf-new] an equation/MathML/TeX microformat?

Paul Topping pault at dessci.com
Thu Oct 25 23:30:23 PDT 2007

The problem has nothing to do with improving display. As I said, that
will be via an image such as a GIF or PNG. The microformat is solely for
the purpose of associating a MathML or TeX representation with the
image. As with other microformats, normal HTML content is what the user
sees while software sees structured, useful data.

Paul

http://jeffmcneill.com/2007/01/24/mathml-tex-latex-texvc-mimetex-oh-my/
> )
>
> You are right, it is a mess. Not sure how microformats could help,
> though.
>
> --
> Sincerely,
> Jeff McNeill
> http://jeffmcneill.com/
>

> On 10/25/07, Paul Topping <pault at dessci.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to determine whether microformats is the right venue for
> > developing a standard math representation within HTML.
> >
> > Back in '98, many of us involved with the W3C's MathML standard had
> > hopes of it being widely supported within most browsers in a few
> years.
> > That has sort of happened. MathML is supported natively within
Firefox
> > but users experience font problems and it only works if pages are
> XHMTL,
> > rather than HTML. My company's free MathPlayer plugin makes MathML
> work
> > in Internet Explorer. MathML support is still missing from Safari,
> > Opera, and other browsers. People interested in publishing math on
the
> > web still find serving up pages as XHTML challenging (getting the
MIME