[uf-new] an equation/MathML/TeX microformat?

Paul Topping pault at dessci.com
Sat Oct 27 16:38:45 PDT 2007

Yes, MathML is the "right" way to do equations, but after a decade of
waiting it's time to go with what actually works. That said, even if we
come up with a standard for associating MathML and TeX with images, I'm
not going to stop pushing for MathML. Equations displayed (and spoken)
directly from embedded MathML in the web page will have a number of
advantages over any other scheme. Just off the top of my head, they
include:

- The font used in the equation can be made to match that of the
surrounding text in face, size, color, etc.

- When the page is zoomed, the equation display won't look pixelated as
with a blown up bitmap.

- Client-side scripting can modify the equation and it will update
accordingly.

- When spoken, sub-expressions may be highlighted in synchrony.

A good way to go for website designers is to do server-side browser
detection to detect MathML support. If present, a page containing MathML
equations may be returned. Otherwise, a page with equation images and
attached or embedded MathML should be returned.

Paul Topping
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com