[uf-new] hAudio ITEM debate proposal #3

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Sun Oct 28 18:23:58 PST 2007

This is a follow-up to a previous attempt at resolving the hAudio
track/item debate:

http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-new/2007-October/001150.html

Brian Suda and I spent quite a bit of time talking about alternatives
and it seems that his disagreement with the previous approach was
largely due to implementation requirements. The end result of our
discussion had more to do with implementation than a change in markup.

While we didn't agree on everything, there was a common thread in the
ideas that allow us to move forward. Namely, if we focus on the
following, we should reach agreement:

 * Not prematurely optimizing hAudio.
 * Use ITEM and not ITEM+HAUDIO.

PROPOSAL:

HAUDIO parts are denoted by ITEM:

EXAMPLES:

Album with two tracks, simple example:

Album with two tracks, more detailed:
      <abbr class="duration" title="PT3M24S">3:24</abbr>
      <abbr class="duration" title="PT4M46S">4:46</abbr>

Scott, I think you and I had the most adverse reactions to this
approach. I've learned to live with it as this approach did not cause
problems when marking up over 20 of the audio-info examples.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments? This is the last blocking issue with
hAudio before we can move it to Draft status.