[uf-new] Album Vs audio-title (was hAudio ITEM debate proposal #3)

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Tue Oct 30 06:51:26 PST 2007

Martin McEvoy wrote:
> Scott Reynen wrote:
>>> also I dont believe fn and album together serve any real benefit as they
>>> both seem to mean the equivalent of a title
>>
>> Not true.
> OK? ......

Scott's correct - FN and ALBUM are used to identify two completely
different things.

>> On Oct 21, 2007, at 12:20 PM, Scott Reynen wrote:
>>> FN does *not* mean album name.  It means *audio* name.  Whether or
>>> not that's the same as the album name determines whether or not we're
>>> talking about an album.
>>
> That Is YOUR definition

Not really... it's the definition that we've settled on after a very
long discussion regarding AUDIO-TITLE and FN. It is not Scott's
definition - it is the definition that is in hCard. We are probably
going to re-use it in hAudio because we won't have to invent a new word
(AUDIO-TITLE) and we will be re-using the proper semantics.

> The wiki is a little misleading at the moment but off the
> audio-info-proposal page...

Would anybody have a problem with me taking the time to update the
hAudio page? It is badly out of date at this point and it is leading to
more confusion than helping. I could integrate the ITEM proposal and the
FN proposal and fix up some very outdated language. The hAudio page is
in grave need of an update.

> Album
>
> The title of a collection of audio recordings that are represented as a
> CD, album or LP. The text should be a short textual description used to
> identify the work among interested parties. This can be the title of a
> CD, album title, or the name of a collection of audio recordings.
>
>    * The element is identified by the class name |album-title|.
>    * hAudio /MUST/ have either |album-title| or |audio-title|.
>
> http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-proposal#Album
>
> How has the definition changed from the above?

The only change is to the bullet points:

 * The element is identified by the class name ALBUM.
 * hAudio /MUST/ have either ALBUM or FN.

> All I am suggesting is that we should forget about any "fn album"
> optimization for now and keep it simple.
> Now that  item / fn has been accepted to described hAudio  tracks, there
> is no real need to complicate hAudio any more than saying that
> audio-title is the main hAudio title and fn is a track title and leave
> it there.

As Scott pointed out, it is not an optimization. Remember, we have the
following rules for hAudio that allow us to describe the type of a
recording:

* If only ALBUM is specified, the hAudio is an album.
* If FN and ALBUM are specified and different, the hAudio is a song in
  an album.
* IF FN and ALBUM are both specified and are identical, the hAudio is an
  album.