[uf-new] Album Vs audio-title (was hAudio ITEM debate proposal #3)

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 14:20:03 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 15:29 -0600, Scott Reynen wrote:
> On Oct 30, 2007, at 1:22 PM, Martin McEvoy wrote:
>
> > class="fn nickname" does the same as class="fn org"
> >
> > formated name type nickname
> >
> > formated name type organization.
> >
> > But then I dont have to tell you that either?
>

> That's actually useful to know you think that.  I believe you're
> misunderstanding what those mean.  class="fn nickname" does not mean
> the FN is of type NICKNAME.  It means the contained content is
> classified as FN and also classified as NICKNAME.  That may sound like
> a pedantic difference, but it's important to avoid thinking two
> classes used together mean the same thing, or that either class has
> any effect on what the other means.  class="fn org", similarly,
> assigns two distinct classes to the same content.  Putting them in
> separate elements would mean the exact same thing.  They mean
> different things and don't change each other's meaning at all.  It's
> the identical value of FN and ORG (whether or not they're the same
> element) that indicates the subtype of the hCard, whereas an identical
> value of FN and NICKNAME carries no such meaning.
>
> > > How should we describe a single track and its album title?
> > >  Currently
> > > we'd do that like this:

> > > I like the song <span class="fn">Everything in Its Right
> > > Place</span>
> > > on <span class="album">Kid A</span>.
> > >
> > > I'm not clear what you see as the alternative without separate
> > > properties.

> > I like the song <span class="item fn">Everything in Its Right
> > Place</span>
> > on <span class="audio-title">Kid A</span>.
> >
> > doesn't rock the boat much does it?
>

> I'd say it does, but probably not where you intended.  HTML's class
> attribute doesn't allow for sub-properties in the same element, as
> you've done with class="item fn".  After making that change, we're to
> this:

Right? I didnt know that I think someone mentioned before that item and
fn cant be used in that way but never got round to explaining why?

then this is probably wrong?

     (<abbr class="dtlisted" title="20060202">2/2/06</abbr>)

http://microformats.org/wiki/hlisting#Simple_Listing

or am I misunderstanding something else? :)

> I like the song <span class="item"><span class="fn">Everything in Its
> Right Place</span></span>
> on <span class="audio-title">Kid A</span>.
>

> After that, you've made two changes.  First, you changed "album" to
> "audio-title."  With only the context of an album to go on, these
> appear to mean the exact same thing, so if you intend "audio-title" to
> mean something different, please explain what exactly.  The other
> change is adding ITEM as a wrapper around the song's name.  Again, I'm
> not sure what purpose this serves.  By definition (and by the
> examples), there are more individual recordings of audio than
> collections, so I think it makes sense to assume audio is not a
> collection unless otherwise indicated.  You seem to be making the
> opposite assumption?

Yes I am making the opposite assumption, haudio (to me and probably
others) stopped being about a single audio recording the moment we
decided it may be wise to merge halbum's track and album-title with
hAudio, when upon reflection it may have been simpler to merge hAudio
into hAlbum as most of the time this seems to be what we are talking
about

I dont think I am suggesting anything new for hAudio in-fact i am
intending slimming down the proposal by removing both album-title and
track In favour of re-using the Item microfomat
http://microformats.org/wiki/item for tracks and only using audio-title
(instead of both audio-title and album-title) as the main hAudio title
http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-proposal#Schema

Thanks

Martin