[uf-new] Album Vs audio-title (was hAudio ITEM debate proposal #3)

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Tue Oct 30 20:20:53 PST 2007

Martin McEvoy wrote:
> I dont think I am suggesting anything new for hAudio in-fact i am
> intending slimming down the proposal by removing both album-title and
> track In favour of re-using the Item microfomat
> http://microformats.org/wiki/item for tracks

I believe this is already happening, Martin... nobody seemed to have
much of a problem with the latest hAudio ITEM proposal. So, I don't
think your thoughts on this matter are in conflict with anybody else on
the list at this point.

> only using audio-title
> (instead of both audio-title and album-title) as the main hAudio title
> http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-proposal#Schema

This seems to be purely a disagreement between using AUDIO-TITLE and FN.

Manu Sporny wrote:
>> How do we know the example that you have given is an audio album?
>> What are the parsing rules that denote "Kid A" is an audio album, and
>> not an an audio song?

> Is a song
> You can tell by context, and content what type of haudio it is

That's indeterminate. We have no way of telling whether or not that is
an album or an audio recording that is partly composed of another audio
recording. In other words, there is nothing in those semantics that say
that "Everything in Its Right Place" is a song, and nothing that
mentions that "Kid A" is actually an album.

I think you're proposing that if an hAudio contains an ITEM, then it is
automatically an album. While this would save us from having to define a
new property, ALBUM, it would kill every non-album use case that exists
out there. All of a sudden, any collection of audio would become an
album... whether or not it is an album. For two examples of why this is
a bad approach, take a look at the Podcast example on the hAudio
proposal page:

http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-proposal#Multi-part_Podcast_Example

or the Opera example on the hAudio proposal page:

http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-proposal#Opera_Example

Context isn't enough to tell us what the type of the audio is... we have
more types out there than just album. We also can't say it is just an
"audio collection" because the audio-info-examples clearly state that we
MUST be able to specify the difference between a song and an album, in
the very least.