[uf-new] Launching the hVideo exploratory discussion!

Mary Hodder mary at dabble.com
Tue Sep 11 09:45:22 PDT 2007

Hi Manu,
Thanks for sharing your list.

Though I would say it appears to reflect what is located in APIs or
feeds or html pages from a small subset of video hosting companies,
not what we see overall, or what users publish on their own.

Is the video microformat use case one that is about video hosters or
about what users do, or both?

At Dabble, as we take in metadata from both sources, we see users and
hosters publishing titles, thumbnail (users don't call it "image
summary" and actually, the hosters don't either much), category AND
tags, uploader, director or creator, license, description, duration,
sometimes size, and almost always, urls for html page, with some
people giving multiple download and streaming urls. In fact there is
almost always a "permalink url" (how did you come up with 58% on that
one?) because no one would be able to get to it if that didn't exist.

What we never see is "published" (what does that mean?) or "email
video url" in a feed or api.. sometimes that's on a page and often
buried in flash or dhtml .. but it wouldn't be very helpful, as it's
actually the same as the html url usually with extra code for email.

Also most individual users never publish "popularity rating" or
"number of views" etc.

I thought the point of the microformat was for users and publishing
companies to be able to put out data that would be easily readable in
both an RSS feed and via spidering an html page, that was commonly
published online?

I think the basic set of commonly published items includes:

title
html url (sometimes same and sometimes different from the url to
embed, or link directly to the video)
video url (if existing - could be multiple, see Blip or Revver or
soon to be Youtube)
category and / or tags
description
license
creator or uploader or both (many youtube videos have both, with
"director" as the creator designation)
embed code
size
duration

We see these all elements highly published.

We don't typically see any comments come through feeds or apis, but
they are certainly on the page at the site, and if say, like Youtube,
they can be spidered, then yes.. there are comments.

If the goal is to make microformats for publishers, then it might
make sense to include:
number of views
comments
number of comments
popularity ratings

Also, the sense I get from your write up here:
http://microformats.org/wiki/video-info-examples

is that you are more interested in the use-case of microformats for
selling video or other content.

But I don't think most video on the web is about that, nor will it
be.  I expect much of that will die out over the next two years, as
some of what was there two years ago died out (see google video's
retraction of for-pay video, or the increase in video that iTunes
carries for free).  And I don't see a lot of it now.

my 2 cents.. i hope that's helpful.

mary

Mary Hodder