[uf-new] The Process (was: hAudio case study)

Scott Reynen scott at makedatamakesense.com
Wed Sep 12 06:54:37 PDT 2007

On Sep 12, 2007, at 4:33 AM, Brian Suda wrote:

> Quantity does not equate quality!

Right.  I think we tend to get caught up in whether or not the
numbers are convincing to our fellow community members, and lose
track of the important question: whether or not the end result is
convincingly useful for publishers.  Most publishers don't care if
the examples we collect are statistically significant; they only care
if it looks useful for them.  More examples helps with that goal, but
there's not really quantifiable finish line.  I suspect much of this
problem could be resolved with better scope definitions.  When
someone says "these examples don't cover my needs," rather than
collecting more examples to prove those needs are edge cases, we
could be referring back to the scope definition and saying "sorry,
your needs are outside the defined scope of this microformat."  But
that only works when the scope is very clearly defined in advance.

--
Scott Reynen
MakeDataMakeSense.com