[uf-new] The Process

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Wed Sep 12 16:46:49 PDT 2007

On 9/12/07 9:55 AM, "Mary Hodder" <mary at dabble.com> wrote:

> I have to second this one as well.
>
> In fact I blogged about this some time ago:
>
> http://napsterization.org/stories/archives/000583.html

Mary and Manu,

Thank you both (again in your case Manu) for your frank comments, and more
importantly...

for being here and volunteering your valuable time participating in these
discussions.

In addition, for doing so in an objectively critical fashion.  You are both
setting good examples for the community, and your persistence and continued
civility are an inspiration.

> nicely of course, but the reality was that for 2 years, I got slammed
> and treated badly by the folks who started it, and then once I made
> them sit down and explain the process, I was able to follow the
> rules.  But it was harsh.  Many people commented privately to me
> after the two blog posts on process that it helped them a lot because
> they had the same experience.
>
> I don't see why hazing helps the process.  You can have high
> standards without being mean.
>
> mary

You're absolutely right Mary, any such hazing is wrong, and for any and all
part that I played in that, I apologize and take full responsibility.
Thanks for sticking with us through our growing pains (both personally and
as a community).

We can and should have high standards (in both senses) without being mean.

Thanks,

Tantek