[uf-new] hAudio Issue Duration

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Wed Aug 6 17:10:23 PDT 2008

Guillaume P. Lebleu wrote:
> On Aug 6, 2008, at 3:05 PM, Martin McEvoy wrote:
>
>> so some "meaningful" abbreviation ....

> Thanks Martin, I actually went in this direction when documenting this
> thread on the wiki [1]. I'm using abbreviations I found from official
> source [2] ("s" instead of "sec" for instance)
Great Guillaume some progress....

> Something that came to my mind is how to reconcile this proposition
> with the measure microformat [3] (a duration is a measure of time).
> For instance, according to the draft measure proposal "15min 30s",
> would be marked up with <span class="num">30</span><span
> class="unit">s</span>.
>
> [1]
> http://microformats.org/wiki/datetime-design-pattern#Individual_markup_of_each_date.2Ftime_component
>
> [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second
> [3] http://microformats.org/wiki/measure

so using a little of both duration could be marked up thus...

Duration is marked up in a ISO 31-1 format  which is how durations and
intervals should be marked up [4] as apposed to ISO 8601[5] for days and
dates

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hour
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minute
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second
[4] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_31-1
[5] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

+1 from me on this proposal.

Thinking back Toby mentioned something  in an earlier post...

> For people concerned with the accessibility of ISO durations, I'd
> suggest allowing duration to take *either* and ISO duration *or* a
> length in seconds, optionally followed by whitespace then "s", the SI
> abbreviation for seconds

http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-new/2008-August/001652.html

which is what got me thinking along those lines.

Thanks

Martin McEvoy