[uf-new] New uF: Version

Samuel Richter mephtu at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 8 14:55:28 PDT 2008

----- Original Message ----
From: Scott Reynen <scott at makedatamakesense.com>
To: For discussion of new microformats. <microformats-new at microformats.org>
Sent: Friday, August 8, 2008 11:40:12 AM
Subject: Re: [uf-new] New uF: Version

On [Aug 8], at [ Aug 8] 8:28 , Ciaran McNulty wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Scott Reynen
> <scott at makedatamakesense.com> wrote:
>> I guess I'm not yet convinced by your use case here.  An
>> application would
>> periodically reload the web page for each application to see if
>> it's been
>> updated?
>
> Plenty of applications 'dial home' to see if there are pending
> updates, and the same applications also have download links, so why
> not combine the two?

I'm afraid you've misinterpreted my questions as rhetorical.  I'm
actually asking for the answers to those questions to better
understand the use case, not making an argument about the merits of
such a use case (I may do that after I understand it).  When I said
"I'm not yet convinced," that's because I don't yet have enough
information to convince me.

To make this more concrete, here's a page that has a version number:

http://www.panic.com/transmit/

The proposal seems to be to add descriptive markup around the "3.6" on
that page.  And how does this use case go after that?  The Transmit
application downloads that document periodically to check for
updates?  And if a higher version number is found, what happens next?
And how does the process differ from how Transmit already checks for
updates?  And are there any other use cases for such markup?

--
Scott Reynen
MakeDataMakeSense.com