[uf-new] New uF: Version

Scott Reynen scott at makedatamakesense.com
Mon Aug 11 13:38:40 PDT 2008

On [Aug 8], at [ Aug 8] 3:55 , Samuel Richter wrote:

> There could be a "What's New" section which would pop up in the
> application when a new version is found.  I anticipate that this use
> case would follow existing processes with software update
> procedures, where the updater/installer periodically checks for the
> web page for updates, *or* subscribes to an RSS feed which contains
> the relevant information.
>
> Scenario: A higher version is found
>
> With the presentation of this information, a decision will be made:
> to install, or not.  But, this would be configurable.  For instance,
> the user may choose not to install alpha or beta software.  Or, the
> user may want to review a list of changes for the new version,
> consider package size, dependencies, available space, etc.

Thanks for this more detailed use case.  Your mention of RSS made me
realize hAtom has already solved much of this problem:

http://microformats.org/wiki/hatom

entry-title is version number, rel-bookmark is the download link, and
entry-content is the change details. So I'd suggest starting with that
and identifying gaps as they become evident.

--
Scott Reynen
MakeDataMakeSense.com