namespaces bad topic for uf mailing lists reminder (was Re: [uf-new] Namespace anti-pattern and hAudio TITLE (was: hAudio FN or Title))

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Mon Feb 4 15:08:28 PST 2008

On 2/4/08 1:25 PM, "Martin McEvoy" <info at weborganics.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello Manu
>
> On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 15:17 -0500, Manu Sporny wrote:
>> Then, I assert that your definition of what is and isn't a namespace
>> is out of step with the common definition of a namespace
>
> If "namespaces" did exist in microformats? it would make it impossible
> to re-use other objects such as "title" in other microformats because
> names in namespaces can only be declared once and only have one
> contextual meaning?
>
> No one actually will admit to the existence of a namespace in
> microformats but there is lots of evidence suggesting otherwise.
>
> either intentional or not, Microformats MAY have created their own
> "namespace" of a kind I think?

The problem is with this loose use of term "namespace" or "namespace of a
kind", not with microformats usage thereof which will result in endless
semantic arguments which are not useful.

and

On 2/4/08 1:20 PM, "Christopher St John" <ckstjohn at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2008 4:05 PM, Brian Suda <brian.suda at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> We must be talking past one another with our definitions, it is
>> probably best to start a wiki page and the discussion will not get
>> lose between posts and threads. It will also make it easier for anyone
>> to reference later. Continuing this thread will not be productive for
>> very long.
>>

> Actually, I've found it quite useful. Manu has brought up several points
> that I've been concerned about. I've almost chimed in a couple of times
> but Manu has beaten me to it and I've been reluctant to just post "me
> too" :-)
>
> Just because one person doesn't find a long and interesting thread
> productive doesn't mean it isn't productive for others.

That may be true, however, we decided long ago, that this wasn't a good
forum for having such discussions about namespaces - there are other forums
where you may find more others that find long discussions about namespaces
interesting.