[uf-new] workofart (was: Introduction to Microformats)

Ottevanger, Jeremy JOttevanger at museumoflondon.org.uk
Wed Feb 6 07:31:50 PST 2008

Hi Walter,

Last spring I asked the same Q about workofart. There was limited
interest in it, it seemed, although I did get some encouraging (partly
off-list) feedback and suggestions. I went off and had a rethink. In the
last few days there have been some posts around the idea of a Dublin
Core microformat, which idea has been pretty much dismissed or ignored,
I think (as it was last year, when again it was mooted for describing
works of art) but which has got me interested again.

My feeling now, as I wrote on Monday, is that something broader than
simply works of art is useful (hence the case for a uF based on DC), but
it looks like the leading lights of this community generally favour
something extremely specific. Maybe, then, workofart could be revived.
I'm still bemused, though, that the broadly applicable seems to be
rejected in favour of the narrow. As I understand it, new microformats
should where possible build upon existing uFs, but if these start off
very narrow rather than generic then it makes it that much more awkward
to do this - which it strikes me is the root of most of the problems in
the hAudio debate. Had there been more broadly-aimed uFs to build it
upon then rows over the meaning of "title" or "contributor" might never
have arisen.

Cheers, Jeremy

Jeremy Ottevanger
Web Developer, Museum Systems Team