[uf-new] Introduction to Microformats

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Tue Feb 5 10:16:17 PST 2008

Walter Logeman wrote:
> Is the workofart one of the ones under development?

It currently has nobody pushing the format forward.

> It looks a bit lost:
> http://www.microformats.org/wiki/workofart-formats
> Could that be revived here on this list?

It could be revived - but be ready to do a ton of work if you pick it
up. It took around 500+ hours of work by the editor and around 250+
hours (estimated) of work by list participants to get hAudio to where it
is today.

Pushing a Microformat forward is not for the faint of heart... but if
you're okay with doing that sort of work for the public good, by all
means, push hArt forward.

>> That being said - if you could stomach the discussion about namespaces,
>> you should do fine on this list :)
>
> I am a programming virgin but a Philosophy graduate so this sort of
> thing is quite fun, but I can see it could go off-topic.

Good :) - there is quite a bit of borrowed philosophy from a variety of
disciplines wrapped up in Microformats. It's interesting to see the
intersection of the philosophies of linguistics, computer science,
working for the public domain, and what people find easy and intuitive
implement.

> I am going to POSHify my site, I'll learn by doing, and return here later.

That's the best place to start... :)