[uf-new] Re: hAudio rel-enclosure & linking issues

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Fri Jan 11 16:11:17 PST 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 21:00 +0000, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> Otherwise, why not mark up every href as an enclosure?
>

> I think we need three classes; say:
>
>    *    download
>
>         for direct links to .mp3 or .wav files, etc.
>
>    *    stream
>
>         for direct links to .ram files, etc.

I think rel-enclosure is still suitable for the above two examples

hAudio rel-enclosure is supposed to have the exact semantic equivalent
of an atom:rel-enclosure

rel-enclosure is not exclusive to audio files, its any single object,
thing that can be downloaded and cached to a users hard drive, or
portable device

this is a good example of different types of enclosure (mp3 and
bit-torrent)
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-atom10.html#code4
and also the following section (PDF)
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-atom10.html#code5

>    *    source
>
>         for links to .html files, etc., which link in turn to one of
> the
>         above.

you may be on to something here a link pointing to a page where a file
may be downloaded but is not a rel="payment" url

if you are pointing to a html file you can use a bit of POSH
rel="section" may be a better way of indicating that the following page
is to be considered part or the referencing document and we are not
inventing something new?

> In the use case:
>
>         User issues instruction to a user-agent to "scan pages until
> you
>         find one which discusses Beethoven's 'Clair de Lune', then
> find
>         me a downloadable version so I can put it on my pocket
> device".
>
> the agent should ignore the second type, and use the first or third to
> find an mp3 or wav.
>
> If rel-license becomes part of hAudio (a no-brainer, surely?),

I think the use of rel-licence already implicitly exists in haudio it
just hasn't been discussed yet, i don't see anything wrong with adopting
rel-licence

+1 from me anyway ;)

> along
> with  "type",

rel enclosure does already support a type value
<a rel="enclosure" type="--" href="...">File</a>

-- audio/mpeg
-- application/octet-stream
-- application/ogg
-- audio/x-ms-wma
-- audio/vnd.rn-realaudio

Are just a few available types.

I KNOW, you know all this just going through it with you :)

> then the use case could include "find me a
> freely-downloadable mp3 version..."

with the inclusion of rel-licence that would be possible don't you
think?

I do however think we have overlooked how we specify (in Atom) the
required length of an enclosure, length as in size of the file on disk.

Thanks

Martin McEvoy