[uf-new] Re: hAudio rel-enclosure & linking issues

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Fri Jan 11 18:06:23 PST 2008

In message <1200096677.5162.33.camel at localhost.localdomain>, Martin
McEvoy <martin at weborganics.co.uk> writes

>On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 21:00 +0000, Andy Mabbett wrote:

>>    *    download

>>    *    stream

>I think rel-enclosure is still suitable for the above two examples

>rel-enclosure is
[...]
> any single object,
>thing that can be downloaded and cached to a users hard drive, or
>portable device

In addition to my previous comments about off-site files, I'm not
convinced that a stream is (as the rel-enclosure spec has it) "intended
to be cached".

>>    *    source
>>
>>         for links to .html files, etc., which link in turn to one of
>> the
>>         above.
>
>you may be on to something here a link pointing to a page where a file
>may be downloaded but is not a rel="payment" url

Even if it is a payment URL. The payment page may not link directly to
the file.

>if you are pointing to a html file you can use a bit of POSH
>rel="section" may be a better way of indicating that the following page
>is to be considered part or the referencing document and we are not
>inventing something new?

If site A links to a page on site "B" which inks to file "C", that does
not make the page on "B" a section of that on "A".

>> If rel-license becomes part of hAudio (a no-brainer, surely?),
>
>I think the use of rel-licence already implicitly exists in haudio it
>just hasn't been discussed yet, i don't see anything wrong with adopting
>rel-licence
>
>+1 from me anyway ;)

Though of course, current practise may not be to have license terms as
links. The text:

requires a CLASS, not a REL.

I think there is a general issue with requiring @rels where publishers
normally use text, not links; contrary to:

        <http://microformats.org/wiki/microformats>

        "microformats are not... an attempt to get everyone to change
        their behavior..."

and:

        <http://microformats.org/wiki/principles>

        "adapt to current behaviors".

Though I see no reason why microformats should not use both, with the
same value.

In other words

        <foo class="value">  ==  <a rel="value">

That would also be beneficial for Wikis such as ours, where rel values
cannot be used by editors.

[Issue logged at <http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-issues#Open_issues> ]

--
Andy Mabbett