[uf-new] Re: hAudio issue: position

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Tue Jan 15 08:18:36 PST 2008

Michael Smethurst wrote:
> In terms of marking up acts and scenes and movements and works and etc I'd
> encourage hAudio to steer well clear. It's a hideous minefield and I suspect
> hAudio can solve 80% of the problem by avoiding this stuff.

Hmmm... Perhaps I'm missing something, but hAudio can already mark up
operatic pieces:

http://microformats.org/wiki/haudio#Opera_Example

POSITION is a loose descriptor of where the piece fits in if it is part
of a collection of some kind. It is most useful when the other pieces
are not listed on the same page.

Position can be:

1. The position of the track on a CD.
2. Podcast # of the recording.
3. The position on a top-10 list.
4. The physical position on a CD set of an Operatic piece.
5. The side and track # of an LP (ie: A1, B2)
6. Specified in TABLE elements.
7. Can be specified out-of-sequence.

I don't think we avoided the problem when putting position in there...
it takes on the challenges of positional identifiers for audio
recordings. If we take position out of the hAudio spec, we lose support
for all of the use cases listed above.

If you want further proof, look at the examples... or I can give
examples of pages to prove my point. (I say that somewhat sarcastically,
because you can almost always find examples online to prove a point in
Microformats).

> For an idea of
> the complexity I'd point semweb minded people at the fine work of Yves
> Raimond on the music ontology (which incidentally it would be nice to see
> used in the rdf-a hAudio spec):
>
> http://musicontology.com/

There will probably be multiple OWL mappings from hAudio RDF to
MusicOntology RDF... for example:

<owl:Class rdf:ID="Recording">
  <owl:equivalentClass
     rdf:resource="http://purl.org/ontology/mo/Recording"/>
</owl:Class>

I've been thinking about heavy re-use of MusicOntology (which is great,
if you need to do more than just markup albums/tracks). The big mistake
I think the MO folks made was putting properties in there that should
have been just plain URIs:

http://musicontology.com/#term_myspace
http://musicontology.com/#term_amazon_asin
http://musicontology.com/#term_musicmoz

It's so incredibly heavyweight that it makes most people's heads spin
when attempting to just simply mark up a song. That being said, there
will still be mappings from one to the other (or re-use of some of the
MO vocabulary in the hAudio RDF.