[uf-new] Microformats on YouTube

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 01:24:48 PDT 2008

2008/7/29, Greg Schechter <schechter at google.com>:
> Hi All,
>  I'm an engineer at YouTube and we would like to add microformats to
>  our site.  I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on the best
>  way to go about adding microformats to our site.  I'm very new to the
>  idea of microformats, so any suggestions on what we should be putting
>  into the site would be very helpful.

--- Microformats are about adding more semantic meaning into the
mark-up. Before microformats there is POSH (plain-old semantic HTML).
POSH does not have any sort of specs for specific formats, but instead
champions the use of the basic HTML elements that already exist. Such
as using a <p> when you have paragraph text rather than a <div> or
other elements. Along with using semantic elements, you can just
choose semantic class values to further extend meaning, such as adding
a class="favorite" to the favorite button, etc.

Having a quick peek under the hood at the youtube HTML, there are lots
of possibilities for both POSH and microformats. It would add meaning
to the HTML and possibly shave-off a few KB from all the nested

If you have any questions, feel free to post them to this discussion
list and as a community we can help you move things forward.

Thanks,
-brian

--
brian suda