[uf-new] hAudio - "sample" propagation from child to parent

Toby A Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Thu Jul 31 15:25:12 PDT 2008

The hAudio draft includes a section called Parser Processing Notes
<http://microformats.org/wiki/hAudio#Parser_Processing_Notes> which
includes the note that:

> When processing the ITEM element, none of the properties of the
> child hAudio should be pulled into the parent hAudio.

I have a suggestion that the "sample" property <http://
microformats.org/wiki/hAudio#Sample> be made an exception and that
the spec suggest that parsers *MAY* propagate the sample property
from children to the parent. This is because a sample of music from a
track on an album may surely also be taken to be a sample of the album.

I've run this past Manu (who's offline for a week or so) and he seems
broadly in favour of it, so long as it doesn't introduce any extra
burden on parsers or publishers. (And by making it a "may" rather
than a "should" or "must", it shouldn't.) He suggested that I raise
the issue here in case anyone else has any ideas against or in favour.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>