[uf-new] Recipe proposal

Thomas Yde thomasyde at yahoo.dk
Tue Jun 10 09:30:44 PDT 2008

On 10/06/2008, Brian Suda wrote:

> On 6/10/08, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Thomas Yde wrote:
>>
>>> But maybe the "note" property could be useful when searching a
>>> database,
>> i.e. you could search for "[item:] pistachios" and then narrow it
>> down to
>> "[note:] unsalted [item:] pistachios". Opinions?
>

> --- google base actually has alot of recipes and a schema which do not
> seem to be mention on the recipe-brainstorming page. It might be worth
> looking into how the model some of these more edge-case items (or even
> if they bothered)
>
> http://base.google.com/base/s2?a_n0=recipes&a_y0=9&hl=en&gl=us

I've added Google Base to the recipe-examples page.

As far as I can tell from looking at the Google Base recipes, they
don't mark up ingredient notes.

In this recipe, for instance:

http://base.google.com/base/a/1468990/D15784743035925148548

the ingredient chokolate is just marked up as "chocolate" in the
details (the searchable part) but in the ingredients part (free form
html) it is specified as "unsweetened chocolate".

So, in short, Google Base ignores ingredient notes.

> I doubt many humans would narrow their search beyond "pistachios".
> However, I can certainly imagine a home automation system using
> "unsalted pistachios" as part of a query to find recipes matching
> the ingredients left in your fridge and larder.
>
> Compare the "Menu Suggester" application envisaged by David A. Mundie:
>
> http://www.anthus.com/Recipes/CompCook.html
>
> So I guess it boils down to whether we want to support such
> applications with today's markup in the future, even if they're not
> commonplace now.

I think this use case fails to live up to the principle about solving
simpler problems first (http://microformats.org/wiki/
solve_simpler_problems_first).

IIMO, we should leave this out for the firts version.

-- Thomas