[uf-new] Re: Comment Questions

Scott Reynen scott at makedatamakesense.com
Sat Nov 15 07:24:28 PST 2008

On [Nov 15], at [ Nov 15] 6:57 , David Janes wrote:

> I don't see the benefit in the later format, as we can add a Entry
> Replies wrapper around that whole "<h2>Comments</h2>(all the
> comments)" section without presentation impact.

It seems to me it's not practically useful to know that something is a
reply, but rather we need to know to *what* it is a reply in order to
solve the problem statement on comments-brainstorming.  This example,
I think, should be excluded as it makes that impossible:

http://www.haloscan.com/comments/empirestatehuman/7424868678376349884/

There's no way to solve the problem statement with that example
because a necessary piece of information (the subject of the comment)
is missing for both people and machines.  And I think we'd see the
same problem with relying solely on a class="replies" wrapper: for
cross-URL (e.g. "trackback") comments, it would make a critical piece
of information (the subject of the comment) inaccessible to machines.

That said, perhaps we should focus first on the simpler and common
enough scope of comments appearing directly after the subject in the
same document, and just be aware that we're not solving the whole
problem (and that's okay).

--
Scott Reynen
MakeDataMakeSense.com