[uf-new] Re: Comment Questions

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Sat Nov 15 19:08:12 PST 2008

David Janes wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 6:25 PM, Martin McEvoy <martin at weborganics.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Martin McEvoy wrote:
>>
>>> 40% of the examples used have a permalink something like this
>>>
>>> http://someblog.com/post#comment-001
>>>
>>> A hash uri reference
>>>
>>> rel="reply" can be hung on this link because the url tells us two things
>>>
>>> 1,  the origional post, http://someblog.com/post
>>> 2,  and the location of the comment,  comment-001
>>>
>>> by defining TWO dereferenceable URI's  one using a slash uri scheme
>>> http://someblog.com/post  => rel="reply"
>>> and the other using a hash URI scheme http://someblog.com/post#comment-001
>>> => rel="bookmark"
>>>
>> Please visit this link If anyone is having trouble with what a
>> Dereferenceable Uniform Resource Identifier is
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dereferenceable_Uniform_Resource_Identifier
>>

> Dereferenceable or not, this seems to break the meaning a A.rel [1]:
> "This attribute describes the relationship from the current document
> to the anchor specified by the href attribute."

Absolutely correct David,  It should really be rev...

a rev-reply link would say that This entry(or page) is a reply to the
referenced url.....
> 40% isn't a great hit rate either, though I'm actually surprised that
> number isn't higher.
so was I, but the examples don't just cover blogs. A  few more examples
added to the existing examples showing a "comment-url" in a comment and
I would say 80% is definitely achievable.

Some more examples that really need adding to this format are when the
entire page is a reply or response to another page, Im sure you have
seen pages that begin with something like..."I read this post about..."
and a link to the post?

> I assume the other 60% are not providing

Correct, although 60% of the examples do use @id which relative url's
can be generated from.

Thanks

--