[uf-new] Re: Comment Questions

David Janes davidjanes at blogmatrix.com
Sun Nov 16 09:27:29 PST 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Martin McEvoy
<martin at weborganics.co.uk> wrote:
> Martin McEvoy wrote:
>>
>> David Janes wrote:

>>> "hfeed comments" has been kicking around since February, off list, and
>>> I got the photos to prove it ;-)
>>>
>>> I'm not sure why you think #3 forces a particular layout. Let me state
>>> more formally:
>>>
>>> * if Entry "B" is in an Entry Comments element of Entry "A", then
>>> Entry "B" is a comment on Entry "A"
>>> * an Entry Comments element is identified by using both class names
>>> "hfeed comments"
>>>
>>> That's it: you've got 100% coverage of all examples with no
>>> presentation change and no required or implied changes to format
>>> needed.
>>
>> David, you are asserting that all comments are grouped in some way, for
>> this you should use xoxo this will give you the implied structure of a
>> comment list, a fair amount of the examples do imply structure and grouping
>>
>> "hfeed comments" is simply wrong because you are implying that "hfeed" is
>> required? if that's not true you are saying you can just use "comments" does
>> this mean that hfeed is Implied? if that's the case then what is the point
>> of using "hfeed" at all? , lastly all of this doesn't address a comment, it
>> only addresses the grouping of comments not the comment this discussion does
>> not go there (remember?).
>>
>> as for all the assertions you, and others are making "that a comment
>> should be marked up in hatom" is also wrong because certain basic
>> requirements of hAtom do not exist in a comment, an entry-title and a
>> bookmarkable point (only 40% have a permalink), comments made on other
>> things (not blogs) very rarely have a permalink also saying if an
>> entry-title is not present "make something up" is false semantics, you are
>> saying that something exists when it quite clearly doesn't
>>
>> I tried to get the conversation about a comment going again because it
>> really is a simple format to build and couldn't understand why a comment
>> format hasn't been addressed yet, now I know why, because some people don't
>> understand what the problem is and have preconceptions of how this should be
>> solved, which should be the simplest way, which is not dumping the whole
>> hAtom format on it, what If I don't want to use hAtom to mark up a comment?
>> I haven't got much choice have I?
>>
> Another Point David...
>
> Please change your selected examples[1] so that they only include a single
> comment ie:
>
>   <li class="" id="comment-3979">
>       <small class="commentmetadata">
>       </small>
>   </li>
>
> This will keep tis discussion on track and NOT get distracted with grouping
> comments (that should be up to the author dont you think?)
>
> [1] http://microformats.org/wiki/comment-examples#Selected_Examples

This has reached the point of insanity: __this is what is in the
examples__. You don't get to pretend that you get to mark up one
comment but not the one next to it. You're trying to frame the
discussion to shoehorn a pre-made solution idea (rel=in-reply-to) as a
microformat.

This makes as much sense as writing a microformats for comments that
contain the letter "q" but not the letter "u".

--
David Janes
Mercenary Programmer