[uf-new] hAudio 1.0 Draft Release

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 14:18:30 PDT 2008

Manu Sporny wrote:
> Martin McEvoy wrote:
>
>>> Toby Inkster wrote:
>>> The 80/20 principle is not meant to be applied this way.
>>>
>> In the end Yes it is, if a property doesn't come within 80% of popular
>> publishing patterns It doesn't belong in the format that is why the
>> microformats process is fair.
>>

> I think that there is a misunderstanding of 80/20 that is at the core of
> your "let's remove all properties that don't have at least 70% coverage"
> argument. I'm not sure if it's your misunderstanding or Toby and my
> misunderstanding since 80-20 isn't spelled out clearly on the
> Microformats wiki, but here goes...
>
> My understanding of the way this community uses 80-20 is like so:
>
> We solve the markup problem for roughly 80% of the websites out there
> using 20% of the attributes that could be used to solve the problem.

Correct...
> The Pareto principle, states that "for many events, 80% of the effects
> come from 20% of the causes"[1].

or from the same source as you cited

The Pareto principle (also known as the 80-20 rule, the law of the vital
few and the principle of factor sparsity) states that, for many events,
80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes

In Microformats this means that if a propery is used more than 80% of
the time then it should be included in the format, this will result in
the top 20% of all discovered properties making their way into the final
Microformat.
> Another way to look at it is this:

[...]
> Let's clear this up first - as all of your "removal of attributes"
> argumentation is based on this premise. Is this everyone else's
> understanding of how Pareto is applied to Microformats?

Yes.

Thanks

Martin
> -- manu