[uf-new] A Download Microformat

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Mon Oct 20 11:33:13 PDT 2008

Hello All

For a year an a half now many members of the Microformats community have
been trying to develop an Audio Info microformat hAudio[1]

For me hAudio still didn't answer the question about an Audio Download
itself (the file), the reason for this I think is because of the Large
number of examples centred around the Music Publishing Services[2] which
consists of some 40 examples, based on the sale of audio, and a product,
they all only indirectly concern themselves with the final audio file,
just purchasing audio.

So what I have done is studied a small set of the audio-info examples
Speech[3], Audio books[4], Music Podcasting[5], Individual Publishing of
Music[6], remixes cut-ups and audio-collages[7], and 15 examples[8] I
have gathered myself,  that only concern themselves with the Final
download of an audio file.

All the examples I studied were all In the context of a Blog Post or a
Published Article. Many of the examples also appear in the context of a
Podcast  for which hAtom solves 60% of the problems the only thing hAtom
cannot address fully is the download  (or enclosure) itself. The
outcome  of  a recent study are as follows:

Discovered properties related to the file itself
* title [fn] : 100%
* download [enclosure]: 100%
* contributor [contributor]: 95%

Discovered properties relating to a blog post or article
* description [entry-content]:  100%
* published [published]: 92.5%
* author [author]: 50%
* category [tag] : 50%

Less used discovered properties
* photo 37.5%
* type/format: 25%
* duration: 17.5%
* interval: 10%

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/haudio
[2]
http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-examples#Service_Publishing_of_Music
[3] http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-examples#Speech
[4] http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-examples#Audio_books
[5] http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-examples#Music_Podcasting
[6]
http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-examples#Individual_Publishing_of_Music
[7]
http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-examples#Mashups.2C_remixes.2C_cut-ups_and_audio-collages
[8] http://weborganics.co.uk/files/Download-analysis.txt

Download Proposal

The Download Microformat is to based primarialy as a subset of the hAtom
Microformat
http://microformats.org/wiki/hatom

Wherever Possible a Download Microformat should re-uses terms defined in
The Atom Syndication Format rfc 4287
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4287.txt

download
* fn [title][1] - human readable information about the link, typically
for display purposes.
* enclosure[1] - a related resource which is potentially large in size
and might require special handling, for example an audio or video
recording, the length attribute SHOULD be provided.
* type[1] - indicates the media type of the resource.

length[1]  - the length of the resource, in bytes. 1 kilobyte = 1,024
bytes, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte.

* contributor[2] -  describes a person, corporation, or similar entity.
** vcard
** fn [name][2] - conveys a human-readable name.
** url [uri][2] - contains a home page or webpage.

[1] http://atomenabled.org/developers/syndication/#link
[2] http://atomenabled.org/developers/syndication/#person

Full example:

  Download: <a rel="enclosure"
href="http://www.subpop.com/assets/audio/2452.mp3" type="audio/mpeg">
    </a>,
  size: <abbr class="length" title="5138022 bytes">4.9 MB</abbr>

Simple example

    <a rel="enclosure"
href="http://www.subpop.com/assets/audio/2452.mp3" type="audio/mpeg">
class="fn">Arizona</span>
    </a>

minimal example with implied fn

    <a rel="enclosure"
href="http://www.subpop.com/assets/audio/2452.mp3" type="audio/mpeg">
       Constantines- Arizona
    </a>

I would Like to Create some pages such as a bainstorming page and
examples page If this Is OK

Thoughts feedback is welcome.

Best Wishes

--