[uf-new] hAudio 1.0 Draft Release

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Wed Oct 29 07:46:07 PST 2008

Hello Scott...

Scott Reynen wrote:
> On [Oct 29], at [ Oct 29] 7:39 , Martin McEvoy wrote:
>
>> The above information has been the crux of my issues with the
>> audio-info process, because we haven't YET created a microformat for
>> Music Downloads.
>>
>> The Proposal to create a Microformat for Music Downloads (If any one
>> remembers) was first posted by Marian Steinbach in
>> microformats-discuss[1], and later re-posted to microformats-new[2]:
>>
>> [1]
>> http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-discuss/2007-February/008848.html
>>
>> [2]
>> http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-new/2007-March/000028.html
>>

> It seems to me you're conflating two distinct efforts here,
> understandably as they have a lot in common.  But they're not really
> the same.  The emails you cited led to work on a "media-info"
> microformat, which seems to match your focus, but never went very far:
>
> http://microformats.org/wiki/media-info-brainstorming

Yes you are right that is about where I became really interested in
microformats.. I thing I might like to point out at this point is that
even that discussion recognized the difference between "the File" and
the information surrounding the file "the Content"

http://microformats.org/wiki/media-info-brainstorming#Differentiating_File_Content_from_File_Format

> This has a problem statement that is clearly different from the
> problem statement of what ultimately came to be known as hAudio, found
> here:
>
> http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-examples
>
> The end of the latter problem statement explicitly rejects the focus
> on downloadable files you're seeking:
>
>> The audio information need not be associated with a file. Note that
>> audio content (The Payback by James Brown) is very different from the
>> audio file format (192Kbps, stereo MP3). The goal of this discussion
>> is to create a Microformat draft for marking up audio metadata and
>> information.
>
> This has been the problem statement from the very beginning, and this
> problem attracted enough interest to push toward a solution.  It
> doesn't seem to be a solution to the problem you want to solve,
> though.  So if hAudio doesn't solve your problem, what do you do now?

Exactly...

> You tried earlier to start a new microformat with a new focus, but I
> think your framing of it in terms of hAudio distracted from what you
> actually wanted to do.

Correct....

> It seems to me now that what you want to do is close enough to the
> previous media-info work that you should consider starting with what's
> already been done.

Again correct, my only issue is that the media-info-examples pages[1]
contains the same Service Publishing of music Examples as the
audio-info-examples pages[2]

[1]
http://microformats.org/wiki/media-info-examples#Service_Publishing_of_Music
[2]
http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-examples#Service_Publishing_of_Music

I would find myself in the same situation as I find myself with hAudio,
I would possibly have to reject all the examples that didn't concern
themselves with a final download, that is the reason why I wanted to
propose a new microformat that actually deals with an audio file
itself.. which seems like a good foundation for a new microformat a
media-download format

Thanks for your attention Scott, much appreciated :-)

> --
> Scott Reynen
> MakeDataMakeSense.com

Martin McEvoy