[uf-new] hAudio issue D2 "title"

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Mon Sep 1 18:16:54 PDT 2008

Hello again Tantek

Tantek Celik wrote:
> Martin,
>
> I agree with you that this is a larger issue impacting existing and new microformats, however, trying to come up with new names for the same meaning is not the answer, and will quickly fall apart.

Agreed....
> We likely need to come up with scoping rules for all microformats like (just thinking out loud here, please do not implement) - some options:
>
> 1. any class name starting with an "h" should be treated as a root microformat which introduces a new scope

This was exactly my thinking when I proposed "htitle"
[http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-new/2008-August/001692.html]
it does introduce scope,  but its nothing new in Microformats hAtom  was
the first to introduces scope in this way with the hfeed and hentry classes,
> 2. introduce a root microformat classname like "hroot" or "hitem" which introduces a new scope and require its use in addition to any new microformat root class name (eg class="hitem haudio") this is essentially the mfo solution but with a friendlier generic root name. Feel free to brainstorm additional friendly generic root names.

I like hItem or class="item" its the nearest thing in Microformats to an
opaque element as I have mentioned before its works like a semantic
again creating more scope  both the above points are very much worth
perusing in my view.
> 3. same as 2 except don't introduce any other root microformat-specific class names, and use some other mechanism to specify what type/kind of microformat the item is. E.g. all new microformats would start with class="hitem" and then we come up with another way of "typing" them.
> 4 ... ? Additional suggestions?
> I'm on my BB enroute in the airport and would prefer to add this to the wiki (will do once I reach my destination, or feel free to do so - perhaps on a new page since it is a cross-microformat issue e.g. /wiki/root-brainstorming ) but I felt this issue was important enough to share a few of these thoughts immediately. Again these are just thoughts and not intended for implementation (at this point).

Thank you very much for your input, you kind of confirmed a few things
for me, have a good flight.

Best wishes

Martin McEvoy