[uf-new] Issue HP7 - Abundance of vocabulary terms in hProduct

Paul Lee (이기수) paullee at google.com
Wed Feb 18 14:52:33 PST 2009

The examples aren't necessarily an accurate reflection of how
frequently attributes/data is used by retailers.  In practice,
model/mpn is used much more frequently than dimensions, both for
retailer websites as well as retailer submissions to search and
shopping engines.

Defer to those with more experience/other data on version.

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Manu Sporny <msporny at digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
> http://microformats.org/wiki/hproduct-issues#HP7_-_Lots_of_vocabulary_terms.2C_does_the_data_really_back_this_up.3F
>
> There are currently 15 vocabulary terms in hProduct, but some of the
> terms don't seem to be backed up in the hProduct analysis[1].
>
> For example, MODEL shows up in 15% of the examples, but made it into the
> vocabulary. However, DIMENSIONS shows up in 51% of the examples, COLOR
> in 31% of the examples, but neither made it into the vocabulary. Why did
> that happen?
>
> Also - do we really think that VERSION is a good idea? Where on the page
> are we going to use this? Are we suggesting that page authors should
> version each of the hProduct instances? Does anybody actually use this
> in practice?
>
> -- manu
>
> [1]http://microformats.org/wiki/hproduct-examples#Analysis_of_Product.2FCommerce_Sites
>
> --
> Manu Sporny
> President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
> blog: Scaling Past 100,000 Concurrent Web Service Requests
> http://blog.digitalbazaar.com/2008/09/30/scaling-webservices-part-1

Paul Lee
Google, Inc.
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway