[uf-new] re: Microformats support for aggregate reviews

Kavi Goel kavi at google.com
Tue Jan 13 22:08:56 PST 2009

Sarven and Toby, thanks for your responses.

Sarven -- the challenge with doing aggregation at the parser level is
that not all reviews are contained on a single page. For example, this
iPod page on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FA1NFA/) has
443 reviews. Only 10 are contained on each page. Even if the parser
knew which pages to go to, it would still have to crawl 45 pages to
come up with the aggregate rating. Much easier is to simply read the
aggregate information that is already summarized on the first page.

Toby -- I think your approach makes sense, but I have two questions.
1) how does the parser know how many user reviews contributed to the
aggregate score? I think we would need some sort of explicit markup of
this information rather than extracting it from a natural language
review description.
2) can you clarify how a site would use the rel-tag to mark a review
as an aggregate, for example, how Amazon or Yelp might do it on their
page? I expect that very few sites will be willing to change their
pages' UI to include metadata about reviews. Rel-tags, as far as I
know, are visible links. Apologies in advance if I am
misunderstanding.

Kavi