[uf-new] Microformats for hidden data

Michael Smethurst michael.smethurst at bbc.co.uk
Thu Nov 26 09:50:55 PST 2009

On 26/11/2009 17:33, "Fiann O'Hagan" <fianno at jshub.org> wrote:

Hi Fiann

> Hi Toby
>
>> Have you considered using RDFa? This is a set of XHTML attributes which
>> brings the RDF data model to XHTML. (Many parsers also support "tag
>> soup" HTML too.)
>
> My understanding of RDFa is that it's not possible to include in valid
> XHTML 1.0

If you want to serve rdfa you'll need to use an rdfa doctype:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML+RDFa 1.0//EN"
        "http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/DTD/xhtml-rdfa-1.dtd">

It's the only change you need to make and is fully supported by w3c
validators

> and that in any case there are problems with serving pages
> with an XML mimetype rather than text/html.

There are all kinds of problems serving pages as xml but it's not required
for rdfa - just keep serving as text/html

> Do you have any real-world examples of RDFa being published?

The canonical example is the london gazette:
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/

We're also using a very small dash of rdfa on bbc.co.uk:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/66gb

...with plans to add much more to bbc.co.uk/programmes in the near future