[uf-new] Microformats for hidden data

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 07:34:02 PST 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Fiann O'Hagan <fianno at jshub.org> wrote:
> What typically happens on big enterprise sites is that they have an
> analytics product which requires certain per-page metadata, such as a
> page name and category.

--- yup, I know them well. One solution would be to define your own
POSH format and/or re-use something like hAtom.

Then in the JS code for declaring variables for tracking you can
reference the microformats, for instance:

Instead of:
var page = "news-index";
var campaign = "news"

you could replace the declared variables with references to the
visible text such as:
var page = $('.entity-title');
var campaign = $('a[rel="tag"]');

In the JS you are referencing visible data. As editors change fields
in the CMS, the tracking codes, campaigns, sections, and other
tracking is done automatically. What you need is the mapping between
the visible parts of the page and your specific tracking variables. It
also depends on how much you want to connect the two and/or allow
editors to be changing these values.

-brian

--
brian suda