[uf-rest] REST opacity and URL schemes.

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Mon Apr 24 11:49:27 PDT 2006

Dan & Charlie,

On Apr 22, 2006, at 10:43 PM, Dan Kubb wrote:
> So this means that POST is a way of sending data to a resource
> that handles the request directly and/or can delegate the handling
> to something else at its discretion.  PUT is a way of changing
> the state of a resource explicitly identified by its URI.

Ah, very interesting.  My understanding was closer to Mark's:

> My rule of thumb for PUT is that afterwards, if I GET a
> representation from the same resource, it should give me back what
> I sent in the first place (unless it's been separately changed in
> the meantime). You also have to account for transcoding.

But, if I'm following your argument, that is actually a
_mis_understanding on my part.  Very interesting.

Okay,  if so, that is a nice separation, and David's usage is
correct, with POST-as-POST being reserved for RPC-style calls with
side-effects.  I'll update the wiki accordingly:

http://microformats.org/wiki/rest/rails#Simply_RESTful

The other issue with PUT vs. POST is that the error/return codes are
different, no? Does either plug-in currently handle those correctly?

-- Ernie P.