[uf-rest] REST opacity and URL schemes.

Mark Nottingham mnot at mnot.net
Mon Apr 24 11:57:11 PDT 2006

Let's not rush into things. Part of the value of PUT is that it has a
particular meaning (as used in WebDAV and elsewhere).

Turn it around for a moment; what are the use cases where PUT is
useful over POST for something where you can't GET back the
representation you just sent? If you're using PUT to do something
like update part of a representation, rather than the whole thing,
will it really be idempotent? Why not surface the thing as a separate
URI?

Cheers,