[uf-rest] AHAH Returning Mysterious 404s

Andy Staines andy at yellowswordfish.com
Tue Mar 11 07:47:42 PST 2008

On 11 Mar 2008, at 14:59PM, Ernest Prabhakar wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> On Mar 10, 2008, at 2:43 PM, Andy Staines wrote:
>> Good day
>> I am hoping someone can advise me
>> I am the author of a WordPress plugin (php) that makes various uses
>> of AHAH (straight from the wiki here). 99%+ of my users have no
>> problem but two or three receive 404 OK errors returned from each
>> call.
>
> Ouch. Do you mean those users get the error *every* time? For every
> client?

It can be hard to get good facts from users but yes - this is my
understanding (More below)

>> We have investigated everything as far as I can tell. The
>> environments are not 'different' - Apache/Linux php4 or 5.
>> Permissions are not an issue.
>> If I paste the url of the php file that is being sent to the js/
>> AHAH routine directly into the browser it returns the correct
>> content with no problem. And typically of course, I cannot
>> reproduce the error but have seen it on a users site.
>
> Just so I understanding:
>
> 1. Your plugin users are site owners, who have installed it on your
> site.

on their site - yes.

> 2. User A has no problems
>
> 3. User B, with an identical server setup, constantly has *their*
> users getting 404s every time they hit that page, no matter which
> browser they use
>
> Is that correct?

I cannot be 100% sure yet about server setup and I can not vouch for
EVERY browser but in essence this is correct.

So far this has effected 4 out of about 200 installs (this was only
released on Saturday). But I had been working with a beta-user who was
the first, who DID try several browsers and I do know is hosted on a
Linux/Apache server. Indeed his host is also mystified as they have an
AHAH based example page which works just fine.

This has to come down to an environmental/set-up issue (I assume) so
this morning I have emailed all four users and asked them to supply
answers to specific questions around their hosting set up, their
WordPress set-up, browsers used and tried, software versions etc. My
aim of course is to try and hunt down the common denominator but like
many WP users who run blogs, mostly these folk are not technical and
it can be hard for them to understand the issues and respond
accordingly.

Whether, when the results are in, something will stand out I do not
know but meanwhile if there are any tests of ideas anyone has I do
have at least one effected user who is willing to try just about
anything!

And I am grateful for you coming back to me. its hopefully going to be
something basic which are sometimes the hardest to find!

Thanks and regards
Andy