[uf-dev] Displaying hidden microformat in Operator (and elsewhere)

Martin Sarsale martin at malditainternet.com
Wed Nov 7 08:06:04 PST 2007

On 11/7/07, Mike Kaply <microformats at kaply.com> wrote:
> In looking at pages like:
>
> http://www.samsoniteblacklabel.com/store-locator.samsonite
>
> I've discovered what I consider a flaw in Operator in that I display
> all microformats even if they aren't visible on the screen at the same
> time. This can make pages like this one unwieldy.
>
> Originally I considered updating Operator to fix this, but on further
> investigation, I would like to make the core Microformats code I am
> putting into Firefox ignore hidden microformats.
>
> I'd like to know what people think about this.
>
> I will only ignore completely hidden microformats, not parts that are hidden.

IMHO it's a similar problem with screen readers and image replacement
techniques. (
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/fir/ )

Maybe you could ignore display:none microformats but do show visibility:hidden?

I can think of some cases where you might want to replace the
microformat info for an image, for example.

Let's try not to repeat old errors (ignoring display:none and
visibility:hidden data as screen readers do).
Since I see firefox setting the standards for microformat developing,
I would try to raise the bar as high as possible.