[uf-dev] Displaying hidden microformat in Operator (and elsewhere)

Pelle W mejllistor at kodfabrik.se
Wed Nov 7 08:16:55 PST 2007

Mike Kaply skrev:
> I've discovered what I consider a flaw in Operator in that I display
> all microformats even if they aren't visible on the screen at the same
> time. This can make pages like this one unwieldy.
>
> Originally I considered updating Operator to fix this, but on further
> investigation, I would like to make the core Microformats code I am
> putting into Firefox ignore hidden microformats.
>
> I'd like to know what people think about this.

I have no knowledge in what should be done according to standards so
this might sound insane but my personal opinion is that the microformats
should be processed if they are present in the document and hidden with
CSS because there may be perfectly legal reasons for hiding them and if
such data isn't included it could perhaps present designers with a tough
choice between design and semantics.

For example - I may want to replace an microformat with an image showing
that very same data but with pixels instead of text. Should I then not
have the possibility of having semantic data being processed by Firefox
because I don't want to duplicate the info already present in the image?

The only time it would be a problem for Firefox to process hidden data
would be when a JavaScript-enabled page stores an excessive amount of
data within the DOM-tree and it should be that page's resonsibility to
have the DOM-tree only containing the data present at the moment. It is
certainly possible to remove it from the DOM-tree and add it first when
it's actually used on the site.

Content and presentation should be separated when designing a website -
right? The html-document only containing the data of that page and the
css containing how it should be presented? Microformats is tied to the
former - the data - and not to the presentation in my opinion. The only
concern when it comes to microformats should be about the data contained
within the document and it is the content's creator's responsibility to
have the document only containing that very page's own data and if that
is done responsible then it wouldn't be a problem for tools to only
consider the availability of the microformat and not it's presentation.

I would say that such a flaw is a flaw in the page rather than in Operator.

/ Pelle