[uf-dev] Finalizing jCard

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 05:57:38 PDT 2008

2008/4/15, Toby A Inkster <mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>:
>  Brian Suda wrote:
> > my first suggestion is not to call it jCard, but something more
> > like JSON output of vCard or JSON to hCard mapping. As Ben said
> > earlier, if we start using jCard, then we'll have xCard

>  An XML version of vCard
> <http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-dawson-vcard-xml-dtd-03.txt>
> already exists and predates hCard by a number of years, though it never
> reached RFC stage.

--- i must not have explained myself well enough, but your example
proves the point i was trying to make. Rather than calling it jCard,
for a JSON representation of vCard details. I was suggesting to call
it something like "JSON representation of vCard" just like the XML
representation of a vCard is not called xCard, but "An XML version of
vCard".

> > aCard, pCard
>
>  Not sure what those would be, but for other hierarchical
> markup/serialisation languages, I'd suggest that formats could be defined
> as:

--- i´m not talking about definitions of the serializations... just
giving examples that if we start putting [A-Za-z0-9] infront of Card,
we'll have an alphabet soup of formats which tell us nothing.

>  I would say that there exists no such function g() which allows for jCard -
> or anything *like* jCard - to be defined in those terms, thus it is
> justified to dedicate effort into defining jCard explicitly.

--- the other thing i think we are hung-up on is solving the JSON
representation for a single format. We have several design patterns to
map VCF/ICS data to HTML, the class design pattern, the rel-design
pattern and others. IMHO This is the best way forward to map
Microformatted HTML to JSON in a similar manner, through patterns -
not specific formats. Lets not worry about XYZ format mapping to JSON,
we should look at a mf2json() mapping.

-brian

--
brian suda