[uf-dev] ADR Multiple instances of children

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 02:11:54 PST 2008

2008/1/17, Guillaume Lebleu <guillaume at lebleu.org>:
> Brian Suda wrote:
> >
> > Basically, any parser that finds multiple instances of children ADR
> > properties, should just concatenate them together with a ','
> >

> I think this technique might find value elsewhere as well.

--- i think we are conflating two different issues. Firstly, the vCard
spec says that street-address (etc) "can include multiple text values
... separated by the COMMA character" This means that the comma is NOT
escaped and is a list of values.

"Suite\, 110" is different than "Suite, 110". The first is one value,
the second is two values.

> For instance, I know at least one instance of a calendar where event's
> dtstart and summary is split.

--- this COMMA concatenation is only available for certain values
defined in the RFC (Org-unit, adr prop, and some N-props)

What you are describing with multiple DTSTARTs is incorrect. Since
there is a 0-1 for many values (including DTSTART) only the first is
used and all subsequent are ignored. To "have your cake and eat it
too" you can use the class="value" which concatenates (without
separators) into a single value.

-brian

--
brian suda