[microformats-discuss] xFolk (RC1) and Topic Maps

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Wed Aug 10 15:26:21 PDT 2005

On Aug 10, 2005, at 1:56 PM, Bud Gibson wrote:
> On Aug 10, 2005, at 13:51, Tantek Çelik wrote:
>> My advice is to first try to use xFolk.  If you find you *need*
>> extra bits
>> of information "about" the item, you'll likely find them in
>> hReview.  If you
>> don't, please point to the actual use cases and examples in the
>> wild which
>> are driving the need and we can all take a look.
>
> I think this analysis makes sense for the time being.
>
> That said, I'm thinking very strongly that the next iteration of
> xFolk will allow  an embedded hcard.

Of course, an embedded hcard is already *allowed.* <address
class="vcard">..</address> already captures these semantics without
any definition in xFolk.

> As pages start to be constructed with content from many sources,
> you want to know who did what.  If all Rob is really looking for is
> some way to attribute the source of a tagged link, then it seems
> xFolk should be able to accomodate that.  I have other use cases in
> mind that I am working on right now where this makes a lot of sense.

Certainly, identification of the tagger is important in folksonomy.
As Thomas Vanderwal put it, folksonomy requires a unique person,
object and tag (think that's the 3 things- I heard him say it last
night at BayCHI). So, its obvious that xFolk is lacking in the
'person' area.

I just want us to be careful to not reinvent anything here,
especially <address>, hcard and hreview.

> As for the date idea, I don't want to go reinventing the wheel and
> look to the community to generate a date microformat with semantics.

This is a great idea. Awhile back, I started http://microformats.org/
wiki/datetime-design-pattern to try and document the date pattern
we've been using in several microformats. The question of whether
this can stand on its own as an elemental microformat (or
nanoformat :)) is still open.

> To be honest, it seems you could pull that out of hReview as a
> format atom available for use anywhere.

/me is pulling.

-ryan