[microformats-discuss] Weblog entries and forum posts

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Thu Aug 11 11:53:21 PDT 2005

Hi Jason,

Welcome to the list.

On 8/11/05 11:35 AM, "Jason Kohls" <jasonkohls at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/11/05, Geoffrey Glass <geof at geof.net> wrote:
>
>> In my case, I need hooks for Javascript to extract information from
>> forum posts in order to support annotation and contextualized copy-paste
>> operations for individual posts on a page [1].  In future, I see this
>> kind of functionality could be external to a web application (e.g. in a
>> browser extension), but for that we need a standard.  Your sample format
>> would satisfy me, as it has all the necessary properties (content,
>> title, author, date, url), and is very close to the Atom-based format I
>> am currently using.
>
> I'd be interested in seeing this as well, but from a research/surfing
> perspective, and specifically, looking for answers to technical
> problems in forums.  I could see the extension of the <code><var> etc.
> to include language type, platform, variable types, and so on.

I think there is potential for a "code" microformat which provided
additional detail above and beyond what the <code> element gives you (which
is just that the contents *are* code or some sort).

In practice (real examples on the web) I have seen folks do things like:

2. <code class="css"> to indicate a CSS style sheet (or fragment sometimes)

3. <code class="html"> to indicate an HTML example

If this interests you, perhaps consider starting a research page on the
wiki:

 http://microformats.org/wiki/code-formats

And see what kind of example usage you can find on the web today, and
document it there (like the above 3 conventions).

I suggest checking W3C specifications for actual examples, e.g.

 http://w3.org/TR/CSS21

has code marked up with <code> and class names I believe.

Thanks,

Tantek