[microformats-discuss] hOffer

Emiliano Martinez Luque martinezluque at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 21:39:40 PDT 2005

Hi all,
I´m new to the list please excuse my english (It´s not my first
language and my english grammar and spelling tend to die when I´m
tired and it´s a little late here).
I welcome this proposal, it´s one of the reasons I joined the list.
I agree that commerce is becoming decentralized and we are also seing
small independent stores using blogging tools and tinkering CMS
systems to offer their wares on the net (for example:
http://www.questionablecontent.net/merch.php ). As payment systems
evolve and internet access spreads worldwide we could expect this
trend to continue since it is a cost effective way for small stores to
participate in the global marketplace. The benefits of having a
microformat for representing commercial offers are clear for matching
sellers to buyers as well as for all other of behaviours we have come
to expect from the web (recommendations, commercial products reviews,
wishlists, etc.).

I would first like to suggest that an optional photo should be
included in the proposal. And would also like to point out that some
currency specification should be included too, since '$89' could
represent 89 US Dollars, 89 Canadian Dollars, 89 Argentinian Pesos,
etc. If we want the data to be machine processable this ambiguity
should be resolved.
Keeping with microformats philosophy of 'Designed for humans first and
machines second' I can see problems with the data being separated into
2 different fields.
ie:

Since it would be displayed as 1.000,00 EUR when intuitively it should
be €1.000,00 .

There is also the problems of:
a) French (1.000,00) vs Anglo (1,000.00) representation of thousands and cents.
b) The currency sign might be at the beggining for some currencies
(ie: $17) and at the end for others (for example Korean Wons. See:
http://www.woori.com/planmall/elegan/Index.jsp )

My first idea is that a simple parsable method could be to include the
currency on the class value itself. ie:

The problem of the actual format of the currency representation could
be solved then by parsing the text node according to the specified
currency.

Another option would be to have the value in the title attribute of an
abbr tag, ie:

<abbr class="price" title="EUR 1.000,00">€1.000,00</abbr>
<abbr class="price" title="USD 1,000.00">$1,000.00</abbr>
<abbr class="price" title="CAD 1,000.00">€1,000.00</abbr>
<abbr class="price" title="ARS 1.000,00">€1.000,00</abbr>

You might have noticed that I kept up with the different formats, I
believe this to be most intuitive, since again, you can parse the
price part of the title attribute´s value according to the currency
specified.

This of course can by changed by deciding on a standard (Either French
or Anglo). But I can imagine a lengthy discussion on the merits and
benefits of each one... :-)

Well, those are my 2 bits, have a nice weekend.
Emiliano Martínez Luque
TheThingsIWant.com