[uf-discuss] Re: [Structuredblogging-discuss] microformat for books in a library catalog

Edward Vielmetti edward.vielmetti at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 08:38:12 PST 2005

On 12/20/05, Ed Summers <ehs at pobox.com> wrote:
> Agreed. Expecting microformatters to learn AACR2 and MARC's byzantine
> tagging mechanism is a non starter. By definition MARC (Machine
> Readable Cataloging) was designed for machines to read--not humans.
> This is evident in the numeric tags that have no semantic content,
> apart from what trained catalogers know them to be. MODS on the other
> hand takes the semantics of MARC and associates the numeric tags with
> pleasant human readable tags. There might actually be some potential
> for MODS as a microformat.

There's a possibility of course that you won't have
to "have microformatters learn" more than once -
if you think of the audience for this in part is the
tech librarian / library online catalog vendor / etc
who has a huge number of MARC records already
and just needs to have rules to format them nicely,
rather than code things up by hand once for
every blog posting.

Thanks for the pointer to MODS.

This would be microformats for big publisher,
many consumers and reconsumers of the data.

Ed