[microformats-discuss] Profiles, what are they good for, why do we need them, and how should they be implemented

Bud Gibson bud at thecommunityengine.com
Fri Jul 15 15:52:46 PDT 2005

On Jul 15, 2005, at 11:08, brian suda wrote:

> This is why a generic universal validator would be handy, but XMDP is
> meant for human-readbility first, and machine-readablity second. So
> somethings people are trying to make microformats do are just out
> of the
> scope of possiblities, lets not forget this.

Probably, but it begs the question of what you think are in and out
of scope of possibilities.  I think, given your extensive experience
and leadership, that that would be useful information.

I would think the XMDP might be a starting place for coming up with
validation rules as you have done.  It's more a terse kind of author/
developer documentation than a tool for validation.  Developers could
create rules for validation (a la schematron) from them.

Let me point out that I think one problem we are having here is
considering the very general case.  A lot of the issue in recognizing
microformats comes from having multiple microformats on a page with
all the potential for collisions.

Let's consider that this might not always be the case, and in fact
will likely not be the case.  If a page contained only one kind of
microformatted content (say xFolk or hCard), then the recognition and
parsing issue starts to become a lot easier.

just some thoughts,
Bud