[microformats-discuss] Profiles, what are they good for, why do we need them, and how should they be implemented

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Fri Jul 15 17:20:27 PDT 2005

On Jul 15, 2005, at 3:52 PM, Bud Gibson wrote:
> On Jul 15, 2005, at 11:37, Carl Beeth wrote:
>
>> And that is today, in a couple of weeks there might be more. That
>> makes for a lot of URL's in the header. Remember people are pragmatic
>> even though they won't use all these formats on the same page they
>> will put it all in the template just in case they they need it. Also
>> you are putting a very large hurdle on adoption if the user has to
>> muck around in his templates each time he want's to ad a new kind of
>> microformated content to his site.
>
> Carl:
>
> I find this point to very well taken, and it comes back to Danny
> Ayers' idea of using URIs to ID when the microformat is being
> used.  If the URI were simply the URL to the XMDP, we would kill
> two birds with one stone.

I'm not sure what's been miss communicated here, but....

Yes. Exactly. That's precisely the idea behind xmdp. See xmdp http://
www.gmpg.org/xmdp/description#using

Danny has a good idea, but its not original. This is *precisely* the
idea behind xmdp. And, this is precisiely the idea behind <head
profile="...">.

> In another communication, Ryan King indicated that XFN actually
> uses the URI as the class attribute value that encloses an XFN entry.

No. No URIs in class values with XFN. Since there is a profile URL
for xfn, it should be referenced in the <head profile="">.

-ryan