[uf-discuss] uF Discovery?

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Wed Nov 23 20:14:45 PST 2005

Brian Suda wrote:

> If you look at any other "distributed" web services, for instance
> SOAP, it has WSDL for description and UDDI (and other competing
> services) for discovery.

This is a bit different, because a SOAP document will never be
discovered through standard link crawling, but a microformatted
document will.  I'm not clear on what the use case is for microformat
discovery.  As long as there's a link to an HTML document, wouldn't
any crawler want to follow the link and check for microformatted
content regardless of whether or not the link has class="contains-
hreview" or whatever?  If microformat search engine A follows all
links, and microformat search engine B only follows links marked with
some microformat discovery semantics, A will have more content as
long as there is a single link that's not marked.  So where is the
advantage in this?

Peace,
Scott