[uf-discuss] uF Discovery?

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 20:47:02 PST 2005

Hello,

(Having really been following this thread but....)

On 11/23/05, Scott Reynen <scott at randomchaos.com> wrote:
> Brian Suda wrote:
>
> > If you look at any other "distributed" web services, for instance
> > SOAP, it has WSDL for description and UDDI (and other competing
> > services) for discovery.
>
> This is a bit different, because a SOAP document will never be
> discovered through standard link crawling, but a microformatted
> document will.  I'm not clear on what the use case is for microformat
> discovery.  As long as there's a link to an HTML document, wouldn't
> any crawler want to follow the link and check for microformatted
> content regardless of whether or not the link has class="contains-
> hreview" or whatever?  If microformat search engine A follows all
> links, and microformat search engine B only follows links marked with
> some microformat discovery semantics, A will have more content as
> long as there is a single link that's not marked.  So where is the
> advantage in this?

It's not only web crawlers that make use of Microformats.  User
scripts, extensions, and user agents (web browsers) make use of them
too.

Having something like class="contains-hreview" might be a way of
separating things out into multiple pages.  (And let things -- like
user scripts, extensions, and user agents -- know that some more
relevant information somewhere else.

See ya

--
    Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.