tags and searching (was Re: [uf-discuss] Greetings microformatters)

Ryan Cannon ryan at ryancannon.com
Wed Nov 30 12:26:07 PST 2005

> As Chris already meantioned, see http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-
> directory. Also, see http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-tag.

Looking at the ideas behind rel-tag and rel-directory, I think we're
close. But these systems seem a little too democratic to be well
implemented for searching, because entity creating the link is
defining the "tag" and not the entity creating the document.

>> Search for words: "Disney"
>> In websites about: "Tourism"
>> and not about: "Stores OR Merchandise"
>>

> Please excuse the gratuitous mention of my employer, but you can do
> this on technorati already. For example, this search will give you
> [most of] what you ask for:
>
> http://technorati.com/search/disney?blogtag=tourism

Theoretically a search for

http://example.com/search/pepsi?tag=crap

would turn up www.pepsi.com if a Coca-Cola web site (or a blogger,
organic food sponsor, random terrorist) included a link on their site
such as <a href="http://www.pepsi.com" rel="tag">crap</a>.

What the Internet lacks is the ability for a site to define its genre
or subject matter, to say, "this is who I am!".

Does this make sense?

--
Ryan Cannon

Interactive Developer