[microformats-discuss] On Digital Web Article and Educating Others (was Web 2.0: Abused)

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Sun Oct 2 15:36:32 PDT 2005

Molly and Ryan, you've both made great points.

Molly, in particular, please do reach out to Joshua Porter.  As someone who
is focused on helping the *user* Joshua will likely find the appeal of the
"humans first" approach of microformats.

I've reached out to Randy Charles Morin on a number of occasions, and have
had no luck.

There's basically a set of "XML zealots" that actively dislike semantic
(X)HTML, I'm not sure how else to put it.

For these folks, I've learned that the only way to convince them is to go
off and succeed with real working examples, rather than to try to spend time
educating them.  They don't *want* to be educated.  Heck, they don't think
they *need* to be educated, they think they are already experts on semantic
markup (never mind that typically none of their web pages are valid).

I mean, if anyone does want to spend time educating them, please, by all
means do so.  I've just decided that my own time is better spent making
microformats succeed rather than fighting/arguing/educating XML zealots.
I've already spent *plenty* of time doing in various W3C contexts to know
the apparent success rate there, at least for me.

Thanks,

Tantek