[microformats-discuss] Re: Educationg Others

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 12:16:05 PDT 2005

On 10/4/05, Mark Pilgrim <pilgrim at gmail.com> wrote:

> Eventually all of these will come together in a super-script that
> parses all available data in every page you ever browse, and publishes
> it to your own private Atom Store via the Atom API.  (This part is
> already written as well, though unreleased.)

Looking forward to the release!

I'd note that this is very similar in approach to the work that's been
done with PiggyBank/SemanticBank, though over there it's pretty much
RDF through-and-through.
(which is a point - what are you doing for a data model for the
multi-domain data?).
http://simile.mit.edu/piggy-bank/index.html
http://simile.mit.edu/semantic-bank/index.html

One new (work-in-progress) bit, which I think kind-of parallels the
Greasemonkey stuff, is this:
http://simile.mit.edu/solvent/

> Imagine having your own private database of every person you've ever
> stumbled across online, and being able to download their vCards into
> your address book.  And every event, which you can download into
> iCal/Sunbird/Outlook.  Plus a list of all the Creative
> Commons-licensed content you've ever read, which you can repurpose --
> legally, according to the terms of the license.
>
> Now imagine searching such a database.  And subscribing to your search
> results as a syndicated feed.
>
> It's coming.  Within weeks, not years.  All the data is out there;
> people are publishing this stuff anyway.  If they publish it just 1%
> better (with appropriate microformatting), I can get 1000% more out of
> it.
>
> Or do you just use your browser to browse?  That's so 20th century.

Yes, yes, yes to all that. And more ;-)

Cheers,
Danny.

--